Thursday 23 October 2008

Evaluation

The idea of this brief was to create a piece of video, an ident for a channel of our choice from the list we were provided with an to incorporate visual effects and motion graphics. I first chose to do an ident for channel 4 on the fear season, after thinking of the idea for a little while I decided that this was not what I wanted to do and changed my idea to the Sci-fi channel due to how I could see more scope for using visual effects. I chose to use maya to create my spaceships because i felt as though I had enough knowledge to use it for modelling, but I didn’t feel I was comfortable with it. After creating the model I rendered it, then exported it, which is where the main problems with this project occurred. I discovered that animating cameras in maya then putting it into after effects created an effective look, however the first footage I tried it on was too shaky which meant that even with image tracking it still looked well out of place, also lighting it was a nightmare as well due to how in maya I was trying to emulate the position of the sun in the footage but it is very difficult due to how to view it you have to render then import and if it’s wrong you have to go and change it in maya then re-export it and see if it fits.
When I went out to shoot my new footage I went prepared with a tripod so the footage would be stable, also I had in mind the fact that I needed to note the position of the sun and the fact I needed to be aware of the camera movement as well. When I was using this footage I found that it was far easier because there was very little camera shake which meant I could concentrate far more on ensuring the lighting and movement which makes the overall composition look far better.
I found the most useful part of this module was the fact it taught me that planning is far more important that I first thought and that I really like after effects. Also I took a lot of knowledge from creative cow tutorials which really helped.

No comments: