Thursday 24 January 2008

Completed Interview

Name/Dj alias?
DJ Twist / DJ Gundrillah (kidulthood ‘treva ma real gun drilla lol )



Could you play any instruments previously before you got your hands on some decks?
I used to be in a band and I am able to play guitar bass and drums, also going to music college it was compulsory to get to at least grade one on the piano, so yes.



When did you first get into mixing and why?
Well first got into mixing around a year ago and the main reason is from being at the raves and watching the dj’s do ridiculous mixes and I just thought ‘yes sick guy I wouldn’t mind doing that’ it also jus so happened that a friend at college got some decks around xmas and really wasn’t into djing so he sold them to me for like £100 which was really lucky because that was probably all I could afford at that time.



Can you remember what the first vinyl you bought was?
the first vinyl that I owned was bought for me when I was little ‘ leeds united marching on together 7’’. But the first proper tune I bought was Tarantula really big tune at the time.



Would a previous knowledge of written music helps with understanding music composition and mixing?
Well from being in the band and writing music I believe that it does well it has givin me a good knowledge of the structure of music and where different parts usually appear. It has helped with the knowledge of composition as in layering up the parts and drum loops and sampling.



You did a course in music tech...do you think this is a necessity if you truly want to go into music production??
It has helped a lot but I don’t think that it is necessary as you get so many people going out and getting the software and jus playing around and self teaching themselves.





Do you have a favourite style?eg dubstep?
Well to start with it was purely drum and bass but recently a lot of dubstep and dub has been purchased. I don’t rerally have a favorate style as I enjoy playing it all. However I do believe that dubstep and dub is slowly getting me.



You have a few of your own tunes posted on your myspace...which i like by the way specially the dubstep wobbler...do you think you will concentrate more on making tunes?
I would love to concentrate on making the tunes but it jus finding the time to do so if you no what I mean. I am going to start on more and there are so many unfinished parts and bars. But it really is just finding the time and being in the right mood.



Do you feel like you are becoming a master mixer or you think there's still alot to learn?
I think that there is still some to learn but I rekon that I have the whole concept of mixing down now. Saying that mixing can go so far now though i.e. more than 3 decks (chase and status style 6 deck mixes..Mental)



Do you think dnb, jungle, dubstep etc would struggle without underground radio?and do you think the scene would be as big in leeds if frequency wasn't around?
The dnb jungle dubstep scene wouldn’t struggle but frequency has certainly boosted the scene and helped it out and also giving the people something to listen to through the day as apose to really bad pop music.



There are so many nights on now in leeds....Which do you recommend?? Tell me it's subdub..hahaha?
Definatly subdub but like you’ve said there are so many, it really depends on the style of the night . I would recommend subdub, metropolis, momentum any really they are all quality and difrent in there own little way.



You've recently been playing on frequency 88.1..do you think you have gained exposure by playing? and would it've been harder to get your name around had 88.1 not been around?
I do indeed because 88.1 is a great way for dj’s to showcase there talents and it is self promotion. Its all about letting people know who you are and getting your name about. The radio has been a great starting point for myself… Id say that myspace has also really helped.



Are you seeing any difference commercially in the dnb scene now to a few years ago?
I think that commercially pendulum have really helped the scene and allowed more people to get into that music and tc for that matter aswell being played on radio one. However the jump up dnb scene is still very underground with it being so grimey and wobbly e.t.c



I know that places, more in the centre of town, now have a growing amount of club go-ers that don't really understand the scene or the music...i know from speaking to others that at a rave this can cause friction and end up in fights which bring the whole feeling of the night down. Do you feel this is a problem?
Well it really annoys me when people just go to the rave to get themselves messy and they don’t really appreciate the music that is being played (its just a beat to them). And when you tell some people that you go down to chapeltown for a rave n there like fukin hell mate why do you want to go to chapel town for a night out, well the answer to that is for the tunes and the scene.



Finally where do you see the scene going? Do you think if it did go completely commercial, loosing the underground element it would spoil the music? Obviously this would never happen seen as the spiritual home is The West Indian Centre which i can't see ever being fully mainstream..
I don’t think that if the scene went completely commercial it would spoil the music I believe that it would go to Drum and bass and Underground Drum and bass and possible become two scenes. It is starting to do that at the moment in a way because you hear pendulum on radio1 but I have never heard a dirty Gdub wobbler on there. Also with all the different night out there now not just in leeds the different styles of the music are slowly seeping through. I belive that jump up drum and bass will stay underground tho.


Due to how this is with a friend i may need a bit of editing to make it more mag ready.

No comments: